As a mom (and teacher), I strive everyday to engage, nurture, and expand the mind of my little one.
Here you will find the books, music, and activities most useful to me in my endeavors.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Question of the Day - 2

As moms (and dads), we are suppose to have ALL the answers, right?! The big ones like the hows and whys. And the more mundane wheres - like my shoes? I tell ya, Alex Trebek's got nothing on the moms of the world!

It's a good thing we have each other to rely on. To share what works and what doesn't. To suggest a new approach. To tell about the latest and greatest and the oldies-but-goodies. To speak from experience. To learn from mistakes. To impart wisdom. To provide ah-ha moments :)



Allow me to pose a few toddler-related QUESTIONS for you to ponder. If you have some insight, please leave a comment ... start a dialogue ... let's build up our arsenal of ANSWERS.


What does your toddler eat for breakfast?

I am in a total breakfast rut. And I know I rely too much on carbs because that's what I like in the morning. Typically, my toddler eats multi-grain pancakes or waffles, half a banana or a few apple slices, and about 8 ounces of milk. Some mornings I make scrambled eggs with cheese or french toast. Sometimes NHV will tolerate a bowl of oatmeal, but it's not her favorite. Any ideas? Does your toddler eat the same thing day-after-day? What options do you offer?

Can't wait to get some ideas about breakfast for toddlers!

7 comments:

Deb said...

Our toddlers' faves are a banana (they can and do eat a whole one each) and peanut butter toast. They do eat them day after day, but I just shoot for more variety in the other meals. We also do oatmeal on occasion, but they get tired of it quickly.

Oliver'sMom said...

I am in the exact. Same. Rut. Now that Oliver is going to preschool (LOTS of tears on Mommy and Kori's part last Friday when it was his last day with her!), I can't just give him some milk and let him eat at daycare. We've been doing pancakes/waffles with fruit or cold cereal with fruit. He loves cheerios, the multi grain ones are the best. If you haven't already tried NHV on cold cereal, word of warning...use a big big and layer a towel under it! Oliver likes to slurp his milk out of the bowl at the end! LOL

For both of us, I want to try to get up a bit earlier and do things like yogurt parfaits and breakfast burritos.

Miss Mel said...

Our kids each have a yogurt in the morning as the appetizer while I fix their meals (although Tuck can make his own cereal now). We usually have yogurt, cereal, a piece of fruit...I try to have a different kind each week (strawberries, kiwi, bananas, mango, blueberries, apples, pears are our faves). Waffles and oatmeal are occasional and usually run a weeks worth before we are back to cereal. They each have a hard boiled egg every other day or so. (Maggie every day...by demand :)
If they are on sale, I throw a piece of sausage at them and they go wild!

Chi-town momma said...

We eat a lot of eggs around here - scrambled with cheese. Other breakfast meals:
- whole grain pancake with a dab of peanut butter
- english muffin with peanut butter and jelly
- we bake muffins (the bag where you just add milk) at least once a week and eat muffins with some cheese cubes
- turkey sausage patty and yogurt
- Breakfast sandwich(spray a small round tupperware container with PAM, put in one egg, microwave for 1 min. put on a toasted english muffin with cheese and ham/sausage/bacon/whatever meat I may have - delicious and easy!)

As you can see, we try to get some protein in every am...a holdover my GD days! I get the shakes with just carbs in the am.

Epiphius said...

we feed the same kinds of foods no matter what time of day. I think today it was leftover quesadilla and apple slices from last nights dinner. We do like the multigrain hot cereal at TJ's though. We throw in some dried apples and raisins to give it a little more flavor. Like some other commenters, we also try to make sure that there's protein in the morning meal. I have a recipe for creamy quinoa that L likes. I'll e-mail it to you.

Jessica {Team Rasler} said...

We do a lot of the same things everyone else does: yogurt, a fruit (usually some type of applesauce), a carb (Cheerios, oatmeal, pancake, or waffle), and a cheese omelet every other day or so. Sebastian is not an adventurous eater these days. I think we are the ones who feel the rut more than they do.

Joy said...

we do french toast sticks and yogurt or pancakes and applesauce. sometimes a banana too.