As a mom (and teacher), I strive everyday to engage, nurture, and expand the mind of my little one.
Here you will find the books, music, and activities most useful to me in my endeavors.

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Toy Organization

Guest Blogger: Mommy of the Rocky Mountain Baby
First you should know that I adore this guest blogger (almost as much as yesterday's). I've known her since high school, lived with her during college, and visit her at least once each year. She is a fantastic, overly dedicated teacher and the mommy to a seriously handsome little man named Emmett.
Today's topic isn't necessarily a "teachable moment" but perhaps you'll learn a thing or two about organization, specifically about storing the bazillion toys your toddler "needs."
Toy storage - this is a daily struggle for me. As MommyBrain can attest, I like to keep a tidy house (at least on the surface), but I have had to loosen up on this since having a baby/toddler. While I don't have any brilliant or creative storage ideas, I have included a few pix of what I do to keep my house at least, somewhat, up to par! :)




First of all, EJB's main play area is our living room too, which is unfortunate since it's the first thing people see when they walk in the house. So, I bought two foot ottomans that double as storage units--one for his blocks and one for cars. They were only $25 at Target. They are suede. And they look nice. I have had several people not even notice they had toys in them until EJB made them move their feet to get inside. This is storage that doubles as entertainment; my toddler also likes to climb inside them when they're empty. They also have leather and canvas covered ones now in several colors/patterns. You can also find nicer, larger leather storage ottomans but they cost more and I'm cheap.
In EJB's bedroom, I have one of the cubicle storage units with cloth bins. Works well and looks fine, especially for his room.
In the TV room, I have a big, clunky toy box that I got off of Craigslist--doesn't look fancy, by any means, but it holds a LOT of toys.
My favorite investment - I have a book display for his books that I LOVE. I did pay a little more for this (maybe $120?) but it is worth every penny. EJB can reach all of his books on his own and can put them back when he's done reading! Priceless. I forget the name of the website I ordered it from, but the brand is Guidecraft and they make a lot of other storage units like you would see in a classroom.
Finally, if you notice next to his toybox, he has a wagon, one of those cheapy Mega Blocks ones from Wal-mart or Target. This is his pick-up truck, that he uses to pick up all his toys at the end of the day. He pulls it around and throws everything in it. Somedays he does better than others... :)
So, that's my two cents, for what it's worth! Can't wait to hear everyone else's ideas.

2 comments:

BJ_Mama said...

Great ideas! We use those wicker laudry baskets...they still look somewhat stylish (at least I think so) in our living room....hey it's better than a cardboard box, right?

Steph said...

Great tips! I am in desperate need of some toy organization.

...stopping by from SITS...

Steph @ Stick It in the Fridge

pleasestickitinthefridge.blogspot.com