As a mom (and teacher), I strive everyday to engage, nurture, and expand the mind of my little one.
Here you will find the books, music, and activities most useful to me in my endeavors.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Letter Recognition - Online - Part 1

I am constantly finding great resources online ... sometimes it's hard to stop ... it's like an obsession! Lately, I've been focusing on Letter Recognition with my toddler. I have dozens of resources bookmarked, but I decided to give them to you in bite-size pieces ... three at a time!

A Printable Activity: Alphabet Picture Pages
Simple, black-and-white images - one for each letter of the alphabet.
This is a pdf file that prints in seconds and is ready to use - love that!

  • Cut apart the cards, color them, and match with foam letters.
  • Leave as solid pages, attach to a magnetic surface, and place a magnetic letter in the matching square.
  • Make letter cards and use the sets as a Memory game.
  • Lots of possibilities for very little work :)

An Interactive Site: Starfall.com - ABCs, Getting Ready to Read

Starfall is a plethora of resources, but I focused on this one interactive component. This activity requires a lot of clicking, but I think it's well worth that effort.

  • Click one of the letter blocks and the upper case and lower case letter are presented visually and verbally.
  • Click again and you'll hear the phonetic sound the letter makes.
  • Click the arrow to see a picture whose name starts with that letter.
  • Click again and the word is presented at the bottom of the screen and spoken aloud.
  • Get it? Keep clicking ...

A Video from YouTube: ABC Song, Let's Start Smart

My toddler enjoyed it, and I like that it focuses on lower case letters.



1 comment:

Jessica {Team Rasler} said...

Ah, Starfall. Used aplenty by the first grade teachers at Sunset, and by me when I had an ESL student. Love it! It'll be fun to introduce it to SP in the next year.